Birth Certificate Information
Congratulations on the birth of your baby! Now the question is- “How to get a Birth Certificate?”
Below are the steps you will need to follow to get a birth certificate.
1. Complete this two-page worksheet and give it to your midwife at the home visit. (If we do not have the worksheet within a few days of the birth, your baby will be named Baby Boy/Girl Mother’s Last Name. We will not check the box for the baby to get a Social Security card. You will need to go to Vital Records to update the records as well as to the Social Security office to apply for a Social Security card.)
2. If you are not married to the father of the baby we will also need an affidavit of paternity in order to add the father’s name to the birth certificate. We will provide you with the form you need for that.
3. We are required to file your birth certificate within five days of the birth. Once we fill out the form you will be emailed a copy to verify everything is correct. You need to respond to that email as soon as possible so we can mail in the form. If we do not receive a response, we will send it as is.
4. We will email you a final copy of the birth certificate worksheet once the information has been submitted to the state electronically.
5. At that point, your certificate should be ready for pick up. You can pick the birth certificate up at any Vital Records office in Georgia.
- You can order the birth certificate online, but please note that there is an $8 processing fee for convenience. http://dph.georgia.gov/birth-records
- You can print the request form online to order the birth certificate and mail it in to the State.
6. The state charges $25 for the first copy and $5 per additional copy. We always recommend you get at least three for your files, otherwise you will be paying $25 each time you need another copy.